Saturday, July 30, 2011

Österreich

For a man my age I have been lucky enough to experience many fulfilling things.  As of late I have done many things that will stay with me and bring a smile to my face until the day I die.  The awe of a high sierra sunrise, the security of lifelong friendships, the warmth of a kiss from the one I love.  This morning I created another wonderful memory.

Freisinger Hof, if you need a place to stay in Munich, stay here
Yesterday the Greiff Family and myself drove from Munich to Salzberg, Austria.  The ride alone was beautiful, scenes worthy of postcards.  Small villages with onion-domed churches were sprinkled throughout the hidden valleys along the autobahn, each one enticing me to abandon the highway and explore what they each had to offer.

The house in Plainfeld
We had left the Freisinger Hof hotel in Munich, an establishment owned by family friends of my au pair family, for their brother's home in Plainfeld, Austria.  The father, Charlie, is head chef of the Freisinger Hof restaurant and bestowed upon us the past two days a bounty of Traditional Bavarian dishes and cherished regional liquors.  We would be staying here in Plainfeld for the next two weeks in order to enjoy the classical music festival in nearby Salzburg.

The Greiff's and I left for Salzburg early and would be waiting for the Wallisch family as their two children, Katharina and Johannes would not be released from school until 11 am.

We arrived in Salzburg and crossed the Salzach river into the historic district, a cluster of baroque structures overshadowed by the impressive fortress above.  Our cars dove underground into a parking garage created in the hollow of a large monolithic geology sheltering the well-preserved city center from the modern periphery.  We ate lunch high above the city with impressive cuisine and an even more impressive command over the Salzach below. 
View from the restaurant

The main street packed with tourists
After lunch we ventured into the historic district and joined the masses of tourists filing through the main street.  Each store holds expensive wares related to either Mozart (he was born and lived here), traditional Trachten clothes (fancy regional dress like the male Lederhosen and the female Dirndl, we saw articles of clothing priced at over 3000 euro), or cheesy tourist goods. 

We eventually made our way back to our cars and drove approximately 10km out of the city to a small village nestled in a small valley hidden from the main highway.  The Wallisch house overlooks the village of Plainfeld and throughout the evening was flooded with more and more guests.  With each new guest came another open bottle of champagne until dinner.  After dinner I walked into a room where the four children were playing to be greeted by Johannes and an unexpected question.  "willst du Ecstasy oder coke?" [do you want ecstasy or coke?].
.....WHAT!?!
The kids were pretending to be like Amy Winehouse.............yup.....they were smoking "joints"[wood board game pieces] and 'passing out'.
.....I....love....children.....

This morning, I woke and promptly prepared for a jog that I had vowed to do the night before.  The run started rather shaky as I have not had time to exercise with such transition over the past few weeks.  But once I made my way out of the valley I fell into a rhythm. 

Now, I must say that the band Explosions in The Sky is utterly AMAZING!  But if you are jogging through a nice area they are doubly amazing.  And if you have a chance EVER to walk or run through the Austrian countryside with explosions in your ears, TAKE THAT OPPORTUNITY.
Plainfeld

My feet carried me along winding roads through the smallest of villages past milk cows chewing cud and upon surprised deer that like ghosts vanished once recognized.  My breath hung heavy in the morning mist and rain poured intermittently upon my shoulders.  The hills rolled endlessly.  At one intersection of tractor routes I dipped into the Austrian forest for some meditation and urination.  Amongst the serenity of the trees I came to a point of realization as to my surroundings and the shear grace I was experiencing.  I will never forget those slender tree trunks or the summer rain mixing with my beading sweat.

I was lost within the Austrian countryside for over two hours, and loved every minute of it.

The boys and I in front of the theater
Tonight I am on babysitting duty while the adults view Le Nozze di Figaro.  But I was informed that I have a ticket for the Opera this monday, Die Frau Ohne Shatten [the woman without a shadow].   I am very excited. 


1 comment:

  1. David, this is such an amazing opportunity for you - good luck, and I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete