Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fahrzeug, and Deutschsprachkurz

My boat in the front yard
After a much needed night of sleep I began the tall task of earning Felix's and Louis' respect, as well as winning over the hearts of Christian and Anja.  Getting approval from Anja and Christian proved to be rather easy as the last 2 au pairs they employed both failed and were sent home within 2 weeks.  I am likely to be the last au pair that this family employs as the boys are reaching an age of independence. Hopefully I will be not only the last, but one of the best. 

This is how Louis and I roll
I learned later from Anja that after putting on my game face and playing with the boys they ran to gave their mother my approval.  During a trip to the local town center where Anja showed me the grocery store we both walked out with the groceries to see Louis across the plaza with a large smile upon his face and an even larger box in his hands.  With his allowance money he had purchased a HUGE nerf gun.  This thing had an extendable stock, forward grip, and a drum magazine holding around 35 rounds. 

Once home I was instantly recruited for the coming nerf war.  I was issued two guns and a nerf vest that I would have outgrown 10 years ago.  To say I enjoyed the 'nerf-kämpf' (fight) would be an understatement...  I went full bore...  diving, rolling, yelling, and faking death.  "Ich bin TOT!" (i'm dead) I yelled as Louis stood over me victorious.  I earned major brownie points here.

Earlier that day Felix had led me to the town center on bike, a nice excursion that resulted in us browsing the local library.  I later learned that Felix read so much that he would burn through the book he checked out by nightfall...I could take a lesson or two from this kid. 

After lunch Anja asked if I was ready to try driving.  "........sure..." I said cautiously.  I had never driven in a foreign country before and this seemed to be a trial by fire.  The previous au pair was inept when it came to driving a stick shift and the boys had given him the nickname "the meister of disaster".  The boys strapped into the Kia, unsure as to my driving abilities.  I took off strong and I could here Louis in the backseat release a sigh of relief.  I quickly racked my brain for the driving rules Christian had given me the prior day.  I made it successfully to the town center where I bought supplies for dinner. 

I had been recruited to prepare my first meal for the family as Anja and Christian were both busy preparing for our impending trip to Munich and Salzburg.  When asked to make dinner I gladly acepted the offer and began to think of recipes.  French? maybe Italian... or Mexican!    "Hamburgers!!!" yelled the boys....o...k.  

Bike ride through the neighborhood with Felix
Once we returned home Louis jumped out of the car and exclaimed to Anja "Er kann fahren!" (he can drive).  I had passed yet another test!  Dinner went well, Burgers and fries with extra toppings for the parents.  Thumbs up from the entire family.  The boys were pleased and the parents more pleased with the fact that I could cook without supervision.  Although I must admit that Louis did act as my assistant chef in the kitchen.  "You are the first au pair we have had that did not ask where the microwave is!" said Anja.   Another point for David.

Jay-jay and Toffee always steal my bed

Before dinner however Anja drove Felix and I to my soon-to-be language school.  I was to take a placement exam then navigate my way back home with Felix using the bus and U-bahn (metro).  The test went well and the young lady grading it spoke with me in German, an act that I greatly appreciated because I have been approached in English as all locals quickly recognized my limited handle on the language.  Felix and I missed the bus by a hair so we dove into the underground. 



The porch
After cleaning the dinner table and kitchen the adults and I once again sat on the porch enjoying beer, wine, and cigarettes until late in the night.  The next day Christian and I would take the boys to Munich at 4 am, so we were to go to bed 'early'.  An early night in this town means midnight I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment