Thursday, July 28, 2011

My first day.


My new whip!
I have yet to spend a week here in Deutschland but already I feel at home, thanks in large part to the unrelenting hospitality and generosity of my host family.  After a long and exhausting flight through 9 time-zones I was greeted at Tegel international by Christian, my host father, his sister-in-law Nicole, and her son Milan.  My heavy bags were quickly wrestled from me and I was led to what would be my car for the next year.  A small red manual Kia, a toy in comparison to my pickup truck which I have endearingly named Betty now sitting in Santa Barbara. 

Milan had just returned from a year of study in Atlanta Georgia and spoke American English very well.  He was eager to speak with an American in Germany as I likewise was eager to question him as a German in America. 
The weather in Berlin upon my arrival was far from that of the so-cal pseudo-paradise of SB.  Grey skies and drizzle offered a preview of weather to come for the next year.  My liberation from the rain of Oregon in sunny Santa Barbara was rather short lived. 

We zipped along the highway through Berlin while I earnestly scanned the built environment, inspecting the structures and their aesthetics (a habit imbued in me through my studies in historical preservation at the UO).  We soon left the urban sprawl of Berlin for a skyline dominated less by buildings and more so by trees in the small borough of Kleinmachnow.  This suburb situated to the southwest of Belrin Mitte (middle) has a population of approximately 20k people and exhibits a very green and quaint setting.  The nearest urban center and transportation hub to my new home is Zeheldorf.  Here are located several streets lined with shops, specialty boutiques, markets, etc. all centered around a Straßenbahn (streetcar) station. 

As we drive into the town Christian points out interesting locations and buildings. “here is the old American Barracks”, “Here we have the annual Amerikanische-Deutsche Volksfest”, etc…. 
We soon enter a neighborhood of mixed houses, stark modern constructions alternating with warmer older house.  The street is not paved but rather laid with cobblestone making for a very bumpy ride. 

Home sweet home

We turn a corner and stop in front of the family’s home, a beautiful 3.5 story house that was not done proper justice in the pictures I was sent over email.  I struggle to pick my jaw up off the ground as we open the white gate and approach the entry.  The historic exterior is contrasted by a well executed interior renovation. 
My Amerikanisches Zimmer
 The walls are adorned with modern art as well as classical prints. I am not yet given a house tour as it is the wish of young Louis to personally guide me throughout every room.  I stop in the foyer in front of a grand staircase and Christian asks me if I can tell which room will be mine.  I only then through the corner of my eye notice the large American flag draped over a door. 
After unpacking and changing, the boys and Anja arrive.  They greet me warmly and Louis proceeds to tour me around the house which proves to be much larger than I had surmised from the exterior. 

Dinner that night is prepared by Christian and Nicole.  The whole dinner becomes much more classy than I imagine with candles, formal plate settings, and soft classical music.  We begin eating the delicious meal of lamb, potatoes, and sautéed vegetables.  I further my drowsiness with large glasses of red wine that are almost forced upon me. 

After dinner the adults and myself sit upon the porch with wine, beer, and cigarettes late into the evening.  I am very surprised that my mind has forced my weary body to remain awake this long.  I soon crash upon my bed violently and sleep deeply.  The next morning I awoke in a daze as I had believed the prior day to be a dream, as it was too good to be true. But to my delight it was all real.

No comments:

Post a Comment