Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A Manny?! Really?!

That is right.  I, a 6'2'', 195 lb. guy who trains in MMA (think UFC cage fighting) is going to spend a year taking care of two children.  If that weren't weird enough, the children I am to take care of and the parents under which I am to be employed have only spoken to me through email or online video chat.  And this job is not near my home in southern California, or my alma mater in Oregon, but in Berlin Germany.  
My Au Pair profile pic. (My sis and I)
My FB profile pic (fake blood)
Many people have asked "how did you find this job?".  I had heard of employment as an Au Pair a year ago while I was studying architecture in Siena, Italy.  I only recently looked seriously into such a prospect when my good friend Grace told me she was going to be working in Rome.  I created profiles on two websites (greataupair.com and aupair-world.net) that matched my preferences with prospective families.  

Of course my profile was well polished and omitted my love for death metal music, and violent MMA hobby. You can see the disparity in my Facebook profile pic and my au pair profile pic.^^^ 

In my profile I also said that I love art and enjoy drawing and painting.  This is very true.....

.....but I failed to mention the recent trend in my art of depicting inebriated cartoon animals.  <<<<

With surprising speed I attracted attention from many families across Europe.  I had many options as I speak Spanish, Italian, and have been studying German for the past 2 years. 

After I had registered and started receiving offers from families my girlfriend Hannah created her own account and began to get offers almost immediately.  We began poking fun at each other over who had received more offers.  She typically won, although I maintain that I deserved a handicap as men are not as desired for Au pair positions. 

I eventually received an email from the mother of a prospective family in Berlin.   It opened with the explanation that her sons had seen my profile picture and said that I looked cool.  The email then went into a lengthy barrage of questions.  I responded promptly to begin what would become a long thread of emails.  We eventually established a date and time to video chat.  

Come the day I was to video chat with this promising family I awoke upon a couch in a house that was not mine.  I sprang to my feet and fumbled around for my phone. 8:45 am.  I was supposed to meet the family online at 9am.  I bolted through the door.  The night before I had began casually drinking with friends vowing to 'take it easy' as I needed to be about my wits the next morning for my interview.

Needless to say the night did not go that easy... 

I was thankful when I ran up the steps to my apartment that I had arrived before 9, and that the smell of alcohol cannot be sensed through my webcam. 

To my luck there was an email awaiting me explaining that the family needed to postpone until 9:30

HUZZAH! --some time to make it look as if I hadn't been run over by a truck filled with tequila.

The video session went over well and I attributed my deep set, baggy eyes to being tired.  More emails were exchanged until I was offered a job taking care of 8 year old Louis and 11 year old Felix.  

Where I will be living for the next year
In return for taking the boys to and from school, cooking a few meals a week, helping with homework, and generally hanging out with the boys, I will receive a solid monthly pay (roughly $300 American), full room and board in one of the most gorgeous houses ever >>>

The family is also kind enough to help pay for German languages classes I will be taking once I arrive, as well as taking me on their annual family trip to Austria for a huge classical music festival the end of July.

As the date of departure approaches it seems to be so close yet so far away.  While I wish to embark on this adventure immediately, I also wish to spend much needed time with my family which I rarely have seen these past years as well as spend what remaining time I have with my girlfriend while we are in the USA.  

Come the 21st of July I begin this new adventure abroad, wish me luck in my preparation for this transition!


1 comment:

  1. Hm, let me think twice - did I really say you are invited to stay with us in case you wanna visit Hannah?

    Just kidding ;) Of course you're welcome! I guess those two boys will have an exciting year ;)

    ReplyDelete