Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Wall

[Disclaimer] This blog entry is really old....


Yesterday was my father's birthday, and coincidentally yesterday was the date that the Berlin wall was constructed.  I find this funny because my birthday, nov. 9th, is the day that the wall was broken.  In the interest of history I ventured into the city in order to walk the East Side Gallery, a large span of the wall left intact and used as a canvas for international artists and their messages of peace.

I began by taking the S-Bahn to Warschauerstraße [if i haven't clarified this symbol ß is read as two s's, so ß = ss just fyi].

As the train sped over the cityscape buildings and plazas began to look familiar and evoke my trip here one year ago.  A smile grew upon my face as I stepped off the train and up a flight of stairs to reveal an impressive view of the river and the TV tower looming in the distance. 

It is hard to believe that only a few decades ago this thriving metropolis (one of the largest in Europe) was divided through the middle by two 5 meter tall steel-reinforced concrete walls with automated turrets scanning for the next person brave enough to ford the no-man's land between them.  
Brandenburg Tor today
As I walk along what used to be the physical embodiment of hate, and division I am glad to see it littered with people of all ages, nationalities, sexes, and sexual orientations enjoying the art, the river, and the sun. 

Today I met with two fraternity brothers of mine at their hostel and gave them a mini-tour of some key locations.  I opted to seek out the gritty Berlin over the gentrified tourist areas of the city.

Brandenburg Tor with the wall
Tomorrow morning the boys begin school and I begin language courses.  Now I am relegated to a 630 wake up every week day in order to herd the boys out the door.  wooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment